- This event has passed.
Neighborhood Garage Sale
Oct 5 @ 8:00 am - Oct 7 @ 5:00 pm
LOHG has 2 weekends a year in which you can participate in a neighborhood wide garage sale. You will be fined by the HOA if you have a garage sale on a different day.
Location: at each individual’s garage/driveway
Time of day: this is up to each individual
Date: LOHG Neighborhood Garage sales are traditionally scheduled around the first Saturday in April and the first Saturday in October. The garage sale days are Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
In Pearland, you must have a permit to have a garage sale, it is $15, but that includes 3 large yellow plastic signs with stakes that you can display. The City will post garage sale information on local cable and the City website if possible.
Word of mouth is good- so please e-mail your friends to let them know about this. Send out mass e-mails to the people in your contacts list! The time on Saturday that you want it to start is up to you.
If you want to participate, here are a few suggestions:
- At least 3 days prior to the garage sale, go to City Hall, but do not go into the tall building with the courthouses in it- but go to the shorter, one story building to the right of it (It might be called the Community Center Building- I am not positive)
- Go to the offices that are for garage sales and permits- it is right next to the office that handles taxes. (they have moved the taxes office since I have had a garage sale- but the garage sale permits are still given out in this building)
- Fill out a garage sale permit form and turn it in right then. They will ask you for the $15 payment. They will process it and give you your 3 large yellow signs right there.
- When you get the garage sale signs home, you will need to fill in the blanks with a large black marker. Make sure on one of the lines you put “WHOLE NEIGHBORHOOD GARAGE SALE Lakes of Highland Glen on Pearland Parkway” or something to that effect- so that people get the hint to head to our neighborhood.
- On Saturday morning, early- have someone in your household put up the garage sale signs (I’m sure some of you will do this the day or night before- I do not care- but the rules say to not put them up until the day of the event.). Make sure you spread them around- that you do not place lots of your signs where there are already lots of signs from our neighborhood. You might even coordinate with a neighbor that only one of you put up signs – the other take down- but y’all can work that out.
- Keep one sign to put in your yard- so when people come into the neighborhood, they will know which houses are participating.
- The night of the end of your garage sale- go pick up your signs. (PLEASE pick up your signs. There is no magic fairy who comes to pick them up- that magic fairy is ME, and I do not wish to do this every time. Thanks!)
- Suppose you do not have enough things to have a garage sale. You can go in together with a neighbor- or you can list the things you wish to sell in the unofficial LOHG Google or Facebook groups.